Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Introducing... Jeeks!

Hello Everyone! My name is Joi Weeks. As you can see, Jeeks is fresh, it's new, and it's my first blog. I thought to name it Jeeks because I have never really had a nickname. You might be thinking... why would she need a nickname when her first name only has 3 letters? That is a valid point but my answer to that question would be another question... Why Not? So, Jeeks is my new nickname and also the name of this blog. Instead of Jeeks, I could have used one of the names my mom used to call me when joking around but why would anyone want to visit a blog called... Booger? ;-p

I decided to start this blog as a sister site to SkySong Creations. In 2007, my friends and family talked me into selling my jewelry creations to people we knew. So at age 22, I introduced SkySong as my first business in that year. SkySong contains jewelry that ranges from leather to hemp, from wire craft to bead craft, and even a little bit of cold connections.

I have been creating jewelry since 1999 just for fun. However, making jewelry is more than just entertainment. It’s an escape from the stress in this world. It’s relaxation, which is needed to free the mind and heart. And it is a creative outlet for a quiet dreamer. At this point in time, my favorite creation method is copper wire craft. I just love how numerous and vividly colored components can be added to it to yield the finished product.

Well, I think that's enough about that for now. If you look at my blog page you might come across a section called Finks. Finks contains my favorite links. Ha! It rhymes just like Jeeks by Joi Weeks...lol. Sorry, as you'll find out I like to rhyme and to make portmanteaus. In case you haven't encountered this word before, a portmanteau is a large leather suitcase that opens into two hinged compartments. However, that's not the definition I am putting into practice. A portmanteau can also be a blend or rather a new word formed by joining two others and combining their meanings. For example, chortle = chuckle + snort.

I slightly apologize for the above English lesson. In no way am I a word whiz. However, I believe that knowledge is a form of power. And I enjoy sharing that power. If you are wondering or asking yourself... Where did she pick up this philosophy? Well, I would have to say that I picked it up in college. I graduated from Carolina (UNC-CH) with a BS Chemistry in 2007. And while I was there, I realized that if the community knew what I know (even though it's not a whole lot) about cancer, biodiesel, the effect of plastic bags on our environment, or even about processed foods, then maybe that knowledge could save lives. And when I say save lives, I mean not only the lives of many people but also animals and plants.


OK, lets get back to the subject at hand... Jewelry. My Jewelry seems to continuously change. Which is good... because I love to experiment and learn new things. So, in this post I'll post my newest pieces, however I'll show some of my older pieces in the slide show.

Introducing the Seahorse Line....





Of course, these pieces don't look exactly like seahorses. However, they do have the essence of a seahorse dancing in the sea. So, that's where their names came from. Well, until another time... I'm signing out.
Jeeks

No comments: